Monday 3 May 2010

Baby steps..

'Come on...that's it...a little bit further...you can do it...yesss! Mummy's so proud of you!!' Emily's first steps, you heard right people. Oh. my. gosh. I cannot tell you how good it felt. I actually had a little cry. But i didn't feel so much of a loser about this since my friend Tom (a 6 foot 2 rugby player) said he balled like a baby after walking unaided for the first time since he broke his leg. Ok, I'm not doing naked cartwheels quite yet..but on my way. I'm looking forward to the next stage of just walking with a rudeboy limp. I might roll my trouser leg up for kicks. Which one is it? What if I roll the wrong one up and end up getting oozied in a drive by between the village hall and Ted's fish and chip van. I need to research.

Also things are looking up for phase two of my Summer London relaunch. My crossroads signpost (see last post) pointed towards jobsville and I got one!! A proper job, in telly and everything. So after 2 days of gnawing at my own wrists cold calling companies to ask them about thier parcel delivery system ('hello, I was wondering if I could have a minute of your t-...hello? hello?') I can claw back some of my tattered dignity. Just. Although I'm worried I've forgotten what to do, it's been 4 months! And if my interview was anything to go by - I actually went to the wrong company for it(!) - then things don't bode well for my organisational skills. Though if I do fuck it up I can just say, well you knew you were hiring an idiot to be fair.. So although I don't get to go on holiday, it does mean I get to move out of the parentals and be a proper grown up. Shit. Meals cooked for me, washing done, personal taxi service. Maybe I should get developing that munchausen syndrome thing...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily,
    I found your posts on JakeMcMillan's blog, and was wondering if you could shed some light on some things post op and post IM nail removal for me??
    I was hit by a car and broke my left hip, left femur and left tib/fib as well.
    Its a long story, but the gist of it is that i have had a lot of pain associated with the head of the fibula, just below and on the outside of my knee, since about the 3rd month or so post op.
    It is what is stopping me from walking at the moment. It is now 9 months post op, and i am still battling along on crutches.
    To be fair, i was stuck in the Caribbean for the first 5 months with a massive hospital bill and only really started doing exercise/physio, etc 4 months ago now, after arriving back home.
    I have been scouring the internet trying to find info on IM nail removal and whether it relieves knee pain.
    My findings have led me to believe that in most cases this is so.
    But after reading your comments on Jake's blog, i am thinking that possibly my pain might be the same as yours, ie related to ITBS.
    I am going to have my IM nail removed out of my tibia in October, and am praying that the pain will go away.
    But i was wondering exactly what the treatment was in your case, and time frame of recovery after treatment began??
    Any info would be very helpful.
    Hoping you running, skipping and jumping around by now!
    Regards
    Simon

    ReplyDelete